samedi 25 octobre 2014

Really??

After being forced kicking and screaming into the present due to my trusty old x58 build bricking I decided to use the opportunity to make my first foray into the realm of watercooling. Feeling the need to learn walking prior to running I opted for a closed loop solution in the form of a H80i and soon to be H100i (on hand).



Everything about the installation experience and the dramatic improvement in temperature management, particularly under load, was great ... until:



I went to install then put to use the included CorsairLink s/w.



Oh .. Em .. Gee!!



A complete and utter fail regarding the CL s/w. Not only does it seem to have a mind of it's own regarding what it decides to display, or not, in terms of fans, their speeds, sensor readings, as well as their placement on the system graphic (for starters) the need to DISABLE Legacy USB support in the UEFI for CL to operate is absolutely unacceptable.



By changing just that one setting my boot times when from a few seconds (warm) to at least a minute as I stare seemingly endlessly at the BIOS logo. Plus changing that setting resulted in my, now ancient, G9 mouse, not being recognized or functional in either the UEFI nor Windows (7Ux64). The G710+ keyboard is recognized and both it and the mouse are plugged directly into adjacent USB2.0 ports on the back panel.



The firmware in the pump seems to be managing temps without CL installed, thankfully, and again I am enjoying the cooler itself.



I've tried various CL builds but they all exhibit the above mentioned idiosyncrasies in one form or another. And afaik they all require the disabling of legacy USB support which is a complete show stopper for my setup.



None of this is anything you haven't heard before but I wanted to toss in my two cents worth regarding the overall disappointment in what would otherwise be a brilliant cooling solution.



Regards,

OldSchooler





Build:

ASUS Z97 ST Mk1 (1304 BIOS)

i7 4790K (Stock Settings Currently)

EVGA GTX780 FTW

16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum at 1866 Mhz

PC Power&Cooling Turbo Cool 860W PSU (pre-buyout)

Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB SSD (Boot+)

Toshiba 512MB SSD

WD Velociraptor 300 GB 10K rpm (Boot Drive from bricked x58)

WD Black 1 TB 7500 rpm (Data Drive from x58)

G9/G710+ Mouse/Keys

Silverstone TJ-10 Case + Corsair Fans




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire