vendredi 24 octobre 2014

Stumbled on a way to keep k70 from freezing in USB 2.0

So normally, I use a IOGEAR GCS72U KVM switch between my personal PC and the PC I'm working on for customers/friends/etc.. When I first got my K70, I hooked it up using 2 USB 2.0 ports and experienced locking up LEDs. So, like others, I switched to USB 3.0. This solved the issue, but then it was hooked up directly, and not into the KVM switch, which I needed.



So after pondering on it a bit, I decided what I was going to do, is just power the K70 externally and plug it into the KVM switch that way instead.



So I looked in my closet and found the charging plug for my Galaxy S5 that I never use (I normally charge my cell on my USB 3.0 port). I plugged that into the outlet, and plugged the power feed for the K70 into it and the keyboard end into the KVM switch.



VIOLA !!



I am happy to report I have not yet had issue with the keyboard LED's freezing up.



I tested this configuration without the KVM switch as well, and still have not had issues.



So if USB 2.0 is giving you problems, and you don't have 3.0 ports, try using a simple cell phone/e-cig charger to power the keyboard instead of drawing power from your PC.



Now this solution IS somewhat cheesy and one would need an extension cable I would suppose if your outlet isn't in the vicinity of the keyboard's jack and PC. Mine just happens to be setup that way here in my office. But this solution DOES work... at least it does for me.



On a side note, when using a KVM switch, I noticed that the keyboard will retain the color profile used but not the effects when using it on a PC that doesn't have the CUE software installed, then once you push the button on the KVM to switch back, it will automatically let the effects kick in. Makes me think that CUE software on 2 different PC's will allow you to switch profiles according to the PC you are on, but I haven't tested this yet.



I'm using the "RAINBOW SHOCKWAVE" profile as my default. On my main PC, colors and effects were normal, on the second PC, all I got were the colors with no effect.



Hope that helps some people here.

.

.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire