mercredi 27 août 2014

2x16gb kits= trouble?

Hello all. New here.. but I've built a fair few PC's in my day. But this time around I'm having TONS of issues with BSOD in getting Win8.1 installed. I've checked everything I can think of and now I'm back to memory.. and maybe this is my problem.



I have an ASUS Z97 Pro Wifi board. i7 4970k. and a Zotac 560ti (just for an occassional game here or there). PC will mostly be used for audio and video work (serious hobby). The hard disk is ONLY a Seagate Barracuda 1tb for the system (SATA) and a SATA BD-R by LG. I have other hard drives but will ONLY install them when the system is fully up and running.



I originally wanted 32gb's of RAM.. and decided I wanted 2400Mhz for this build.. so I bought a 2x8GB kit of Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz (the black and gold one). Part# cmy16gx3m2a2400c11a. I didn't buy two because I didn't have enough cash at that time.. a week later I picked up the 2nd set of the exact same ram. So I have TWO matching 16gb set of the 2400mhz ram.



Today I'm reading that combining kits like that is not recommended.. even when they have the same "settings." These both have the same timings 11-13-13-31. The XMP didn't work out thru the BIOS so I had to manually enter it.. and seemed OK for a bit then started crashing again...



SO..I am REALLY new/clueless on the whole timing issue.. (previous builds just worked or had a XMP that worked straight off)... Maybe if I only use ONE set it will be fine with the XMP profile... but to use two sets.. I'd have to tweak some settings and I'm completely lost there...



Any suggestions are welcome. I turned off the XMP profile and am running at 1333Mhz right now for my memory. So far so good... I managed to install a bunch of software where this morning it was crashing all the time.



Thanks




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire